Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in Moline, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Freed Heating & Air Conditioning can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Freed Heating & Air Conditioning in Moline a call to begin. Contact our team at 309-323-9584 or book an appointment with us online.