According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Freed Heating & Air Conditioning in Moline about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the pros at Freed Heating & Air Conditioning. Annual checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts open.
Other ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and switch them out when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Moline home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Freed Heating & Air Conditioning at 309-323-9584 or make an appointment online.