Spring is in the air here in Moline and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Freed Heating & Air Conditioning team has some tips that will help keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to sync up with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to put it off until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as excited about the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Freed Heating & Air Conditioning in Moline a call at 309-323-9584.